Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Letter and a Handkerchief: 'Here is a fragment of a line I remember....'


A Letter: Hopkins: To Bridges: Stonyhurst College, Blackburn.  Oct. 18, 1882   p.254
Dearest Bridges, ---I have read of Whitman’s (1) ‘Pete’ in the library…(2) two pieces in the Athenaeum or Academy, one on the Man-of-War Bird, the other beginning ‘Spirit that formed this scene’; (3) short extracts in a review by Saintsbury in the Academy:….
   This, though very little, is quite enough to give a strong impression of his marked and original manner and way of thought and in particular his rhythm.  It might be enough, I shall not deny, to originate or, much more, influence another’s style: they say the French trace their whole modern school of landscape to a single piece of Constable’s* exhibited at the Salon early this century. 
[*Notes: Constable.  ‘The Hay Wain,’ ‘A View near London’, and ‘The Lock on the Stour’ were exhibited at the Paris Salon in 1824. (p.395)]
   The question then is only about the fact.  But first I may as well say what I should not otherwise have said, that I always knew in my heart Walt Whitman’s mind to be more like my own than any other man’s living.  As he is a very great scoundrel this is not a pleasant confession…
   …The pieces of his I read were mostly in an irregular rhythmic prose: that is what they are thought be meant for and what they seemed to me to be.  Here is a fragment of a line I remember: ‘or a handkerchief designedly dropped’.*  This is in a dactylic rhythm---or let us say anapestic…[*or a handkerchief.  See Saintsbury’s review (L I, note P). (p.395)]

No comments:

Post a Comment