Monday, January 16, 2012

...the buds are slow...


To Oxford
As Devonshire letters, earlier in the year
Than we in the East dare look for buds, disclose
Smells that are sweeter-memoriéd than the rose,
And presséd violets in the folds appear,
So it is with my friends, I note, to hear
News from Belleisle, even such a sweetness blowso
(I know, knowing not) across from those
Meadows to them inexplicably dear.
‘As when a soul laments, which hath been blest’---o
And undivulgéd love does overflow.
~Fr. Hopkins
…disabling cold,
And hunting winds and the long-lying snow.
Is it a wonder if the buds are slow?
Or where is strength to make the leaf unfold?
Chilling remembrance of my days of old
Afflicts no less, what yet I hope may blow,
That seed which the good sower once did sow,
So loading with obstruction that threshold o
~Fr. Hopkins, from ‘See How Spring Opens’
=============
Ah no!..............
I know of the bored and bitten rocks
Not so far outward in the sea:…..
~Fr. Hopkins, from ‘Continuation of R. Garnett’s Nix
[ibid. pp.68-69]

No comments:

Post a Comment